Two Men


Genesis 14:1-24
18 Malki-Tzedek king of Shalem brought out bread and wine. He was cohen of El ‘Elyon [God Most High], 19 so he blessed him with these words:
Hebrews 8:1-13
But now the work Yeshua has been given to do is far superior to theirs, just as the covenant he mediates is better. For this covenant has been given as Torah on the basis of better promises.
John 4:43-54
48 Yeshua answered, “Unless you people see signs and miracles, you simply will not trust!”

I’m cheating today. The name ‘Melchizedek’ has always haunted me, so I whimsically Googled “Melchizedek poems.” I’d never heard of Ucalegon before, but I was struck by the fact that “ucalegon” is actually an idiom-word in English which means “neighbor whose house is on fire.” I thought that was frighteningly apt, in view of the world we live in today.

Two Men
by Edwin Arlington Robinson

 There be two men of all mankind
That I should like to know about;
But search and question where I will,
I cannot ever find them out.
 
Melchizedek he praised the Lord,
And gave some wine to Abraham;
But who can tell what else he did
Must be more learned than I am.
 
Ucalegon he lost his house
When Agamemnon came to Troy;
But who can tell me who he was --
I'll pray the gods to give him joy.
 
There be two men of all mankind
That I'm forever thinking on:
They chase me everywhere I go, --
Melchizedek, Ucalegon.

So, speaking as one ucalegon to another, may I suggest that we stop looking for signs and miracles, and take turns with the hose?

Comments

Popular Posts