Divided Houses



Genesis 42:1-17

“Why are you staring at each other?”



1 Corinthians 5:1-8

“Shouldn’t you rather have felt some sadness that would have led you to remove from your company the man who has done this thing?”



Mark 3:19-35

“So if Satan has rebelled against himself and is divided, he can’t survive either; and that’s the end of him.”



For Jews, today is Purim, the celebration of Esther confounding Haman’s intention to commit genocide. Traditionally, it’s a big, silly party with noisemakers called graggers, and funny hats; drinking to excess, and gift baskets.

For Christians, it’s just another day in Lent— nothing fancy.



The readings for today seem pretty discontented to me, though:

Jacob suspicious of his son’s guilty glances at the mention of Egypt.

Paul outraged over the Corinthians’ indifference.

Jesus exasperated that his detractors can’t see how they’ve pulled the rug out from under themselves,

and his family frustrated in their attempt to do an intervention.



Nothing is working out for anyone. I’m wondering if maybe I should get myself a gragger and ratchet it as loud as I can whenever I hear the words ‘Corona Virus’ or ‘Toilet Paper.’

Maybe I should stick my fingers in my ears and chant “La-la-la” whenever anyone starts to say anything about politics.

Maybe I should “make myself fragrant with wine” to the point that I can’t tell the difference between a con artist and my best friend.

Maybe I should wear a costume disguise whenever I venture out of the house.



And, no, I’m not being defeatist!



Is it possible that the only cure for division, discord, and discontent might be to make fun of it?

Is that the whole point of Purim, maybe?

Is that the secret buried in Lent that might make us all glance furtively at one another?



Can we make it that simple?

Can we embarrass ourselves into compassion?

Humiliate ourselves into cooperation?

Shame ourselves into fairness?

Laugh ourselves into unity?

Can we pack all our arguments into gift baskets and give them away?



Is that the trick— to let all of our divisions fall over drunk and laughing?



Old Man Zen says, “Huh. Might be something to that.”

Comments

Popular Posts