Inside-out Advent

 

I keep seeing posts and blogs that are trying to bring comfort, hope, reassurance, and encouragement; full of suggestions that we look at things from a different perspective. The thing is, most of them aren’t very comforting, not really.

Advent is traditionally a penitential season, and yet no-one seems to want to go there. The feeling seems to be that hard times are supposed to have a shelf-life, and we are getting impatient for the current hard times to be over and done with. Hmm.

I just read a blog post that a friend shared on Facebook which talks about the longing of Advent— “for things to be made right.” It talked about Christ as the Overcomer— “who would take all shame, hurt, and pain on a cross and put it to rest to set things right.”

It talked about a whole host of angels calling to the shepherds, and the author described those shepherds of Christ’s time as being equivalent to those of us today who are “forgotten, marginalized, unseen.” People like health-care workers, janitors, technicians, families who’ve suffered a loved-one’s death, single moms, clergy who’ve left their churches, and families on the brink of poverty….

(I’m sorry but I can’t help seeing some pretty entrenched classism here. I know, I verge on cynical in my skepticism, but hear me out.)

I want to turn it all inside out:

The shepherds were probably literally the dregs of society in Christ’s day, which would make them the modern equivalent of drug addicts and criminals. They would be the drug-dealers, the gang members, the scary people who follow women walking alone at night. They would be the con artists and the phone scammers who try to cheat you out of your life savings. They would be the untrustworthy ones; the suspicious people up to no good, sneaking around your backyard at night looking to break in. They would be the disreputable ones; the ones that we good, law-abiding folks have no use for. They would be the day-laborers without proper I.D.’s lined up outside Home Depot waiting to be hired. Yup, I mean it!

So the whole host of angels came to talk to those people, but I don’t think it’s important to pay attention to the people the angels came to. I think it’s more useful to pay attention to who the angels didn’t come to. The angels didn’t come to people who weren’t going to listen. They didn’t come to people whose ideas and expectations would get in the way of hearing what the angels had to say. They didn’t come to those folks who already thought they knew what needed to happen “to make things right.” They didn’t even try to talk to people who thought they had a God-given right to be happy, or who believed that “shame, hurt, and pain” should be done away with forever.  I think that the angels would have wanted to come to those entitled folks, except that those folks’ cherished ideas made it impossible for them to even hear the angels, or see their light above. Literally impossible!

Besides, I don’t think that Christ is the Overcomer at all! Christ didn’t come to “set everything right.” Christ didn’t come to make pain and fear, grief and hardship, go away! God didn’t become human 2,000 years ago. Christ (God) has always been Human from before time, eternally— “Loved (by God) before the creation of the world.” (John 17:24)

I don’t know how a person can miss the message:

Everything is already all right. The realm of God is here; among us, within us; all around us.

How can we say that God-in-Christ set all things right, when the story is so clear? God suffers right along with us: all the pain, the grief, the poverty, the weariness, the uncertainty, the loneliness, the fear. It’s all part of the deal. We can’t be separated from God, because in God we live and move and have our being.” (Acts 17:28)

There’s nothing to overcome. We’re all in it together. The ones who can hear the angels are the ones who manage to live without expectations; the ones who hope without hope. But if we see what we hope for, it isn’t hope — after all, who hopes for what he already sees?” (Romans 8:24-25)

I keep coming back around to the simple idea that what really makes life worthwhile is simply for us to find ways to be useful. Useful to God; useful to each other. If we decide to hope for impossibilities like the end of all shame, hurt, and pain; if we create a mental image of what life would be like if we never had to suffer, and then we persuade ourselves that Christ’s mission is somehow incomplete or inadequate because we are still suffering….  I don’t know, that just seems sort of recalcitrant, even obstinate, to me. Christ didn’t pay for our sins so we didn’t have to; Christ suffered our sins along with us so that we could have perfect evidence that life isn’t defined by suffering, any more than it’s defined by happiness.

Christ is the embodiment of eternity; the manifestation of hope without hope.

I remember a friend asking me if I believed in “life after death,” and I could only answer with a question: I asked her if she was alive right now, and she said that she was indeed alive right now. I asked her if there has ever been, or ever will be, a time that is not ‘right now,’ and she said that no, there would never be such a time. Then I asked this question: “Then how can we possibly die?”

 

It’s the same for us, as it is for God.

 

We are eternal beings: with hope and without it; in grief and in joy; in confusion and in confidence; in comfort and in distress; in death and in life.

We have no existence outside of God, and because that is true and real in the most absolute way, we have nothing to do other than simply get on with things; suffering when we suffer, and joyful when we’re joyful.

 

That’s all there is to it.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very interesting Leah as far as it goes!

    I have been reading this Advent C S Lewis's Cosmic trilogy.

    My only comment on your blog is that it takes no account of the evil still in the world.

    We have a bent Oyarsa who pulls things out of shape.

    One of my friends says that the evil one is God's sheepdog.
    Though he obviously does not realize that.

    I personally believe that the crucifixion was a Cosmic event!

    It affected the way evil related to the Cosmos.
    The victory and depowerment were for everything outside this planet.

    For me that explains what happened after Jesus death.

    Over the next 200 years the voice of women was once again suppressed.

    The church was born through the corruption of the Roman empire and Constantine.

    And all its abuses of power and authority grew exponentially.

    The equality of what Jesus taught was lost.

    Balance became a vain thought.

    For a short time there was a remnant of hope around Jesus spouse Mary of Bethany and the apostle John and Mary Jesus mother as long as she remained alive.

    And that through Avalon (Glastonbury) schooled those who founded the Celtic Way in Ireland.

    What happened at Whitby where I live now was bigger than most folk realize.

    The acceptance of the Roman Catholic church crushed the Celtic Way slowly to death.

    All the records that Amma Beth loves were written by Roman Catholic monks and scholars.

    The underlying theology and philosophy was their church tradition.

    How could they write about something they came to destroy and radically change.

    Much abuse of children and young people has happened in Ireland by Roman Catholic priests and leaders.

    There is a germ of the Celtic Way in those stories but it is twisted and warped by those who wrote the stories.

    The "History of the English church and people" written by Bede in a RC monastery in Jarrow in the North of England is a classic example of the interpretation of those events it describes from an approved RC theological and philosophical perspective.

    That's the first thing most people used to read when I was a child about that period of time.

    It's all a work of our bent Oyarsa.

    Most of the pain and suffering in this World is also attributable to him.

    Why God allows this death and destruction to continue on our planet I personally don't know!

    Except one view is that we live in a school which prepares us for what comes next when we die....

    But for me that leaves our loving God to do a lot of repair work in the next place.

    For me life is here about our choice's.
    The things we trust and chose and as you have said how we live our lives.

    Our journey's here are not easy or simple.
    I know that there are things in my life that looking back I would change.
    Especially in my responses in many of my relationship's.

    Yes God in Christ is with us but we have to choose for Christ.

    I was raised in a supposed Christian family and in one of the traditional churches.
    But that did me little good as a preparation for life.

    I made many mistakes!

    I don't know why I am living near Whitby.

    But this little bungalow is probably one of the better places I have lived since the end of my marriage to my ex wife.

    In the hope that we can live in balance in our lives in community.

    Abba Chris+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deleted your previous, as it was a duplicate of this one....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts